Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fruit update

The pear tree is getting very weighed down with fruit. No color on them yet, but the tree is covered, including the broken branch that didn't completely sever from the tree.

The blueberries arrived seemingly overnight. One day there were some fruit nubs and yesterday I noticed bright blue berries. Pretty cool. The birds have not yet set on them, so I know they aren't ready to eat yet. And I know I have just a few short days to get the bushes covered with netting. I'm going to try to pick up some stakes to support the net, rather than just throw it over the bushes like last year. We'll see.

The apples are starting to show a little bit of color. They tend to grow in bunches which leads to crowding later on. I might try to thin them, but I can only reach a relatively small portion of the tree, so it seems rather a lot of work for not all that much gain. I may try it on a few branches, though, just to see what effect thinning the fruits has on their development.

No comments: