Friday, May 14, 2010

Fruits

In addition to the strawberries in the perennial bed we have these:

There are a couple of apple trees in the back. They produce a red apple that's pretty mild. Not much flavor raw, but they cook very well.

There are four blueberry bushes. I really meant to prune them back in February, but the moment got away from me. I tried to root cuttings back in the fall, but that failed. If we want more, I reckon we'll have to buy them like other folks. We'll have to cover these soon with mesh to keep the birds away from them.

Then there is the pear tree in the front. The first couple of years it didn't do anything. Last year it was full of fruit, and we couldn't keep up. Looks like this will be a good year also. A branch near the top of the tree that snapped during one of the winter storms, but I don't have a ladder tall enough to get at it and cut it out. There are couple of previous broken limbs also, that have kept on bearing fruit. But I think the tree would enjoy getting rid of the limbs that grow upside down!

No comments: