Friday, April 17, 2015

Organs I have played: Brevard


The Porter Center at Brevard College is a multi-use concert hall on the main campus. The front of the hall includes a small gallery holding Jaekel opus 43. At 69 ranks it's one of the largest instruments in this region of the state. I played the instrument as part of a hymn festival in 2013. We actually presented the hymn festival at Black Mountain Presbyterian, which our choir leading and then mounted the same production in Brevard, with the local choral society leading the singing a few weeks later. We had brass instrumentalists for both events. They were with me in the gallery for the Porter Center event. With them there was not much room for anything else! Logistics were a bit tricky, but we used closed-circuit monitors for me to see the conductor. The instrument was a delight to play. It fills the room well. I would like to get back down to Brevard soon to play it again at my leisure.


No comments: