Monday, September 26, 2011

Poetry

Eli has been trying to finish up a big unit on poetry at school. He's had to write in several styles/formats. One was a "poem to a person." He had a little help from me in tidying this up, but he chose to write to Briggs about the night Briggs was born:

This is a poem to my brother, Briggs.
I remember the night you were born.
Early in the evening my mom said, “It’s time!”
She called the midwife who came over pretty quickly.
Then we called my friend, Mrs. Prather, whose job was to keep me company.
Soon afterward my mom, my dad and the midwife
Went to the bedroom where you were born.
I talked with Mrs. Prather about what was going on and slept some.
Later, after everything had calmed down, early in the morning,
they let me into the room to see you.
You were really tiny, wrapped in a blanket, with a cap on your head;
Your eyes were closed.
I crawled onto the bed with mom and you.
She was tired but happy.
You were quiet. (That changed.)
Mom and dad made me sit on the bed in order to let me hold you.
I felt overwhelmed. I felt proud and excited and happy.
I felt like a big brother.
It was a big night for both of us.


Later in the evening I let Briggs read the poem. He was pretty proud. I think we all were.

No comments: