Monday, July 12, 2010

Quarters everywhere

I finally have 99% of the state quarter that I wanted. I have one complete set issued from the Philadelphia mint. I have 49 of a second set that I hope to trade somehow for a complete set of Denver mint quarters. (All I need is an Arizona (P) coin to complete the second set.) Along the way I've managed to pick up on my own 3-4 Denver mint examples.

Then late last year I encountered an American Samoa quarter, and learned that there was an additional set of six quarters for DC and five US territories. Checking just now I have two of those (including US Virgin Islands).


Now, over the weekend I encountered something else new: the obverse of the quarter reads "Hot Springs." I thought I had been gypped with some sort of token. But no: come to find out beginning this year there is a new set of 56 quarters commemorating National Parks and Historic Sites. One each from the 50 states, plus DC and plus the five US territories. It's a multi-year project, much like the state quarter series. NC will have its issued in 2015, noting the Blue Ridge Parkway.

No comments: